Esperanza is a faith-based organization committed to strengthening the Hispanic community through a variety of programs and services, focused primarily on community development, capacity building, workforce development; education; and advocacy.
An integral part of the Esperanza Arts Center team, Production Assistants perform activities such as set-up, installation, tech-runs, stage changes, strike/break down, and other onstage and backstage operations required to run a variety of productions in a broad spectrum of disciplines. Production Assistants also act as a point of contact between Esperanza and the artist or client using the theater.
Esperanza Arts Center programs represent diverse traditions, disciplines, and backgrounds, and take place in performance and presentation spaces ranging from 100 to 800-seats. You are part of a team whose goal is to ensure a positive, professional, memorable, and meaningful experience for all visitors through exemplary, well-managed productions and well-maintained facilities.
• Clean the stage and theater spaces at the beginning of a work-shift or event and the restoration of the stage at the end of a work-shift or event;
• Set the stage and execute changes in accord with stage plots and tech riders under the direction of the Production & Facilities Manager;
• Operate theatrical equipment following training;
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Understanding of Esperanza’s mission, goals, and objectives and ability to work independently with a high level of energy and contribute as part of a larger team;
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Esperanza’s mission;
• Able to work without supervision and function effectively under time pressure;
• Interest in the performing arts representing a wide spectrum of cultures;
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for diverse constituencies and within the cultural and arts landscape of Hunting Park, the Philadelphia region, and beyond;
• Related theater or performing arts venue experience a plus.
High School Diploma or GED
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
a. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently stand; climb; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance; talk or hear. The employee will occasionally climb stairs; stoop; kneel; crouch or crawl.
b. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, push/pull, and lift tables, chairs, boxes, and temporary/mobile signage.
c. Operate standard office equipment; frequent keyboarding; frequent desktop computer work.
d. Specific vision abilities required by the job include frequent reading and close vision; distance vision; color vision; peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
a. Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, certain performances may create loud sounds during the event.
b. Work is primarily indoors, with occasional outdoor productions.
c. Must work non-traditional hours based on performance schedule needs.
Position: Production Assistant, Esperanza Arts Center
Department: Arts Center
Reports to: Facilities & Production Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt