As Executive Director of the Greater Philadelphia Film Office, Sharon Pinkenson has successfully elevated the GPFO from a little-known permit office to one of the most well-respected film commissions in the industry. This one-time wardrobe stylist had an ambitious dream to see her beloved hometown become the movie metropolis she always knew it could be. For nearly three decades as the leader in the Philadelphia film industry’s constant growth, GPFO has helped to create nearly $6 billion in economic impact for the southeastern Pennsylvania region. GPFO attracted over 400 productions in fiscal year 2019, creating hundreds of jobs for Philadelphians. Sharon’s decades of service to the local film industry has cemented Philadelphia’s reputation as one of the country’s best media production centers. Her work was also instrumental in the passage of the Pennsylvania Film Production Tax Credit program, which continues to be one of the most sustainable incentive programs in the industry.
A lifelong Philadelphian, Ms. Pinkenson graduated from the Philadelphia High School for Girls and Temple University. Her business career began with the successful launching of Plage Tahiti, a trend-setting boutique in Center City. She designed and manufactured a women’s apparel collection under the Plage Tahiti label for several years. Her clothes were sold nationally in stores like Bloomingdale’s and Strawbridge & Clothier, and she was the recipient of several design awards. Prior to her appointment, Pinkenson worked as a costume designer and wardrobe stylist in the film industry. Among her feature credits are Mannequin II: On the Move, Renegades, Christmas on Division Street, and Confessions of a Suburban Girl. She is the first Film Office director to come to the post directly from film production. Her complete filmography as Executive Director of the Greater Philadelphia Film Office can be found on IMDB. A resident of Center City Philadelphia since 1964, Sharon has three daughters, three granddaughters, and is passionately in love with life.
List of Awards and Achievements:
- Doctor of Humane Letters, Honoris Causa from Drexel University (2006)
- Dunkin’ Donuts and the Philadelphia Eagles, 75 Greatest Living Philadelphians
- Philadelphia Magazine, 50 most Powerful Philadelphians
- American Marketing Association’s Marketer of the Year
- Philly Ad Club’s Pinnacle Award
- PenJerDel Woman of Vision Award.
- Philadelphia Business Journal’s Women of Distinction
- Philadelphia Business Journal’s Power 100
- And many more…
Sharon has served on…
- PNC Bank Regional Presidents’ Advisory Board
- Kimmel Center for Performing Arts Board of Directors
- Mayor Michael Nutter’s Cultural Advisory Council
- Senator Vincent Hughes’ Economic Advisory Group
- Temple University’s President’s Advisory Board
- Board of Visitors at Temple University School of Communications and Theater
- Board of Visitors at Temple University’s Center for the Arts
- Advisory Board of the Bryn Mawr Film Institute
- Advisory Board of the Big Picture Alliance
- Advisory Board of the Philadelphia Film Society